Washing waste glass/plastic

We've been given a Hobart industrial dishwasher and are thinking of using
it for waste reduction, i.e. washing of long half life glass and plastic
items sorted out of the waste.  It's an attractive thought since our
compact won't have a waste site for 6+ years and, once it does, burial
costs will be high (we expect extra surcharges for C-14 and other extra
long half live radionuclides).

Has anyone traveled this path already?  Would one expect generation of
airborne activity during the washing process?  Any ideas about assaying
washed material before disposal in regular trash?

Any comments are appreciated either on the net or over the phone.
Thanks, Bill Fendt University of Delaware, 302-831-1434 (away on vacation
until Jan 3.)