RE: Cloud Chamber

>I saw something in a physics journal 10 (or was it 20 ) years ago
>describing a simple cloud chamber for demonstrating the range of
>alpha particles in air.  I think it used methanol and dry ice,
>producing a supersaturated methanol atmosphere.  I intend to use the
>amerecium source from a smoke detector, to make the source feel
>familiar to my students.
>
>Does anyone have a good, simple design?

We have two of these units in use in nuclear physics
demonstrations, one for betas and one for alphas.

I think you can buy the whole setup from one of the usual
suspects (ICN, Atomic Accessories, etc) for nearly nothing,
except for the source.

In Colorado, the "liberation" of an Am-241 source from a
smoke detector would remove its exemption under the
regulations, and make this demonstration a licensable
activity.  I suggest the sources sold with the units be
used.

Hope this helps.

John

      *John DeLaHunt, EH&S          *1125 Glen Avenue          *
      *The Colorado College         *Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
      *jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu    * VOX:  (719)389-6678      *
      *hazmat-owner@csn.org         * FAX:  (719)635-3177      *
      *************this message is hereby disclaimed************