Re: Re[2]: Cloud Chamber

Actually, Am-241 emits a number of different alphas, although the yield
is small for most.  In any event, you are correct in that there are 2
major groups, but the energy dirrecence between them is less than 1% and
so should not be detectable by cloud chamber techniques.  An excellent
source of alphas is uranium, and uranium compounds can be purchased in
small quantities from chemical supply houses.  This will, of course, be
depleted U containing approximately 0.2% of the 235 isotope.

Good luck with your endeavor.