Re: Security and physical inventories of licensed material

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 17:04:59 -0600
> From: "Jim F. Herrold" <HERROLD@UWYO.EDU>
> Subject: Security and physical inventories of licensed material
>
> This is easy if you can honestly say that all your materials are used in
> "restricted" areas. The problem is, how do you restrict access or otherwise
> maintain constant security or surveillance over materials used in university
> research labs?

Well, once every lab got personal computers, this was pretty easy.
After a few thefts, every lab started locking up when they left.  In
general, if no lab member is in the lab, lock AND CLOSE the door.
Many labs always kept the doors locked and the last person out pulled
it shut.  Same thing for interconnected labs.  If only labs with
personnel in them have open/unlocked doors, you have adequate access
control.

The usual rule of thumb we (university RSO) used to test this was to
walk in the lab, stand around for a few minutes (if no one was in
sight), and then say "is anyone here?".  If we got no response, we
cited them.

> The other side of the coin is conducting physical inventories on
> licensed materials. This is easy for sealed sources, but how are
> other universities addressing this issue for unsealed sources?

Every individual order is issued a unique inventory number by the RSO.
The labs keep a use log documenting all use and disposition of the
order. When it is emptied and the waste removed from the lab, the lab
notifies the RSO.

We maintained a computerized inventory and sent out quarterly
statements for the labs to verify.  Also, each lab had individual use
limits.  By keeping those limits reasonably low, they were encouraged
them to manage their waste and record keeping in a timely manner
(e.g., no records, no 'topes -- a wonderful incentive for even the
most recalcitrant investigator.  The HPLF rides again!).

Wes