RE: Security and physical inventories of licensed material

Isotope security is problematic and something that NRC inspectors have
put a lot of emphasis on during past inspections of my institution.

We have a policy that all source material (defined as any material that
has a source control number assigned and any stock solution with more
than 100 uCi) must be either locked in a refrigerator or under the
direct supervision of an authorized user.  We have locks on all freezers
and refrigerators used to store RAM.  It works quite well.

	If you are instituting a policy of locking down the isotopes in
labs at a large institution you are going to have problems since many of the
researchers will not want to change.  Training and the "fear of god" are
good methods to force the change.  Our RSC is strong and adopted a policy that
would revoke the users authorization if he had two violations in a six month
period. ..... seems to be working fine.

JERRY THOMAS
thomas@usuhs.usuhs.mil