Re: Revigorator

> From root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu Thu Jan 19 17:44 GMT 1995
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 11:32:18 -0600
> Originator: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From: JEW1%LRN%DCPP@bangate.pge.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Revigorator
>
> Dear Radsafers,
>
> This morning a colleague brought in a ceramic jug 10 1/2" high, 5 1/2" across
> the top and 8 1/2" across the bottom. It has a metal spiggot on it and these
> words:
>
> Radium Ore
> Revigorator
> Patd 7-16-12
>
> The Radium Ore Revigorator Co.
> 260 California St.
> San Francisco, Cal
>
> On the side it has these instructions:
>
> 1. Fill jar every night
> 2. Use hydrant or any good water
> 3. Drink freely when thirsty and upon arising and retiring.
>    Average six or more glasses daily.
>    Scrub with stiff brush and scald monthly.
>
> There was no smearable activity inside or out. The inside pegged our frisker
> on all but the million cpm scale.
>
> The Revigorator was purchased as an antique by a neighbor lady who wants to
> plant flowers in it. Not a bad idea IMHO. Any clue to its history? Is this
> like the Radithor that William Bailey introduced in 1925 and killed Eben
> Byers in 1932? What is the material inside? Uranium? Thorium? Although I get
> no alpha from it, I suspect there a glaze which might be blocking it. There
> sure is a grunch of betas. Also, I wonder what is now at the 260 California
> address.
>
> In service to Science,
> J. Ellsworth Weaver
>
> Snail Mail: 119/2/247, PO Box 56, Avila Beach, CA, USA 93424
> Email: JEW1@PGE.COM
> Phone: (805) 545-3029
> Fax:   (805) 545-3545
>
> When such as I cast out remorse
> So great a sweetness flows into the breast
> We must laugh and we must sing,
> We are blest by every thing,
> Every thing we look upon is blest.
> 	-- William Butler Yeats
>
> Mandatory Disclaimer: PG&E has enough trouble without trying to be responsible
> for my correspondence.

In the 1920's and 30's(?) it was the done thing to visit an "Inhalarium"
where you would experience the 'invigorating and revitalizing effects
of Radium'. This was done by inhaling the gaseous daughter products of
this most amazing of wonders. It was regarded as a bit of a cure-all at
the time.	Oooops!

Could the invigorator be a home brew version of this?

Ian Macmillan.		| There are three sides to every story;
E-mail address:		| yours, mine and the truth.
mph437@biomed.abdn.ac.uk|