Revigorator -Reply

First, a small point: the thing should say Revigator, not
Revigorator. The idea was that adding radon returned the vigor back
to the water. They said radon was to water what oxygen was to air.

It was made from uranium ore. I believe the ore was mixed with clay
(or cement) and sawdust. When it was fired, the sawdust broke down
and left the inner surface porous.

The patent date doesn't mean much. The referred to patent was taken
out by Curt Schmidt for similar devices but not the Revigator. The
device in question almost certainly dates from the 1920s. It went for
$29.50 in 1929. Over 100,000 were reportedly sold in California
alone.

It had nothing directly to do with Radithor. The latter used refined
radium and was produced by William Bailey in New Jersey. I got a call
the other day from an artist who has built a sculpture using a
Revigator. He too was interested in the death of Eben Byers (brought
about by his love for radithor and the ladies - Radithor was claimed
to be an aphrodisiac). So he plans to start an Eben Byers memorial
golf tournament (Byers was US Amateur golf champion in 1904/5)

Check the inside and there will be plenty of alpha activity.

Regards

Paul Frame