Re: Training Videos

>>In return, I can offer you my reaction to "The Invisible Partner", a 23
>>minute
>>video made for the Alcoa Technical Center, which addresses the use of
>>radiation
>>producing machines but particularly analytical x-ray equipment.  I've just
>>pre-
>>viewed it and found it well-done.  Of course, it contains segments
>>specific to
>>Alcoa and it contains a segment on biological effects which I'd rather not
>>use,
>>but, if Alcoa will allow me to use excerpts from it, we'll buy it and
>>consider
>>that it will be a very useful addition to our x-ray training.  It
>>particularly
>>addresses problems that arise when equipment is serviced, repaired or
>>modified
>>or when interlocks are defeated.  You can call the International Centre
>>for
>>Diffraction Data at (610)325-9810 for information about obtaining it for
>>pre-
>>view.

>>Sue Dupre
>>Health Physicist/Princeton University

Thanks Sue!!

I just previewed "The Invisible Partner" too - and I quite concur with your
assessment!

I thought the first medical effects presentation was totally out of line for
the energy range of the types of x-ray machines discussed.

I liked it because at LBL I have implimented a hardware enforced, enclosed
beam ONLY policy for analytical x-ray machines.  In this regard the Alcoa
program is similar - with two notable shortcomings - and therefore says the
things to the viewers that I would most like to tell them.

Would that I could combine parts of it with parts of the "Double Edged
Sword"!!!

Of course the ONLY presentation that would be PERFECT - would be one you did
yourself (with an unlimited bufget!!).

Interestingly enough - three other reviewers within our group didn't like it
at all.  I think they viewed it from a wrong perspective - ie. as a training
film for THEM (all HPs) and NOT for new users.  Also they didn't have a good
grasp of the ESSENTIALS of our x-ray program!  I think too that they just
expected too much!

The two shortcomings??

Note that ALCOA does NOT seem to require redundant interlocks - we
absolutely require redundant interlocks and furthermore they all set up in a
progressive manner so that only one final switch actually activates the
equipment (not closing ANY last interlock!!) and IT is momentary so that
machines DO NOT reenergize after a power failure.

Second - they seem not to require an area monitor.  We have built an
excellent unit originally designed at Argonne a decade or so ago and have
improved on that.  In fact we have just recently gotten Health Physics
Instruments to offer it commercially.  Before this there has NOT been a
suitable commercial offering of an area monitor for analytical x-ray
machines.

But - basically a good and useful video!