Re: Shoe"machines"/fluro -Reply

Although I cut my teeth on shoe fitting fluoroscopes on my first real
job, it was so long ago that I might have trouble remembering things.
However, I do recall that the tubes in most models that we checked were
typically unshielded, and located just about at the gonadal region of the
unsuspecting user.  In those days, there was great concern over genetic
consequences of exposure.  I recall measuring exposure rates of several R
to even tens of R per hour at the location of the user; operator
locations as I recall were somewhat lower.  However, an exposure of 10's
to hundreds of mR to a user was not improbable.

In any case, because of the shoe fitting fluoroscope problem, we in Los
Angeles put together a comprehensive set of regulations which forbade the
use of shoe fitting fluoroscopes, as I recall, by anyone not a licensed
practioner of the healing arts.

We have on display here on campus as museum quality shoe fitting
fluoroscope kindly donated by Clayton Lagerquist.

If I can help further, please let me know.

Ron Kathren