RE: evolution of regs? -Reply

=
=>despite the admittedly entertaining  comments to the
=> contrary, the NCRP and ICRP folk are highly qualified scientists,
=
=Agreed. They are also subject to (and accept) enormous pressures to not upset
=the funding agencies; plus many _other_ "highly qualified scientists" have
=found other more satisfying things to do...

	However, some of the field operatives are less than Nobel Prize
	material. These bureaucrats do contribute mightily to non-productive
	work and paper shuffling.

	I had the (not really a) pleasure of interacting with one FDA
	administrator who came to our institution and showed up at our
	DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY looking for their AECL Cobalt machine.

	I have no problems dealing with regulators who are reasonably
	qualified in their field, (and in many cases are better than I am,)
	but the idea of someone who doesn't know the difference between
	diagnostic and theraputic uses of radiation telling me that they
	represent the LAW and must be obeyed if find frightening.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___      "Hey Hillary, watch me pull a new
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___      foreign policy out of my hat!"
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _   "Bill, that trick never works."
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)  ... "No doubt about it, got to get
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)  another hat." - Thanks to Jeff Wolfe