Re: I-131 therapies

It may not decrease volume much, but we use Whatman Benchkote (SP?) for
covering room floors.  It is a plastic backed paper that has a
texture similar to a heavy art paper so it has some absorbancy,
but not a lot.  The plastic backing is firmly bonded to the paper.
We stick it down with duct tape and get a floor that doesn't
present as much of a tripping or slipping hazard as absorbant paper.
It peels up quickly and if folded and not wadded into a drum keeps
the volume fairly small.  We usually end up with 1 55 gallon drum and
a bag with linen, telephone, and call button.  We cycle the telephones
and call buttons rather than decontaminating them.  A room decon
usually takes two people about two hours plus time to run wipes and
return if needed.  Occasionally, a decon will take longer.  Explain
to me how a patient can get I-131 underneath plastic backed paper
without tearing :) I just can't figure it out.  The prep is two
people for about one hour.

Usually the toilet is the toughest to decon.  We once had a patient
that required an elevated seat for the toilet.  The crew found
very little contamination on the seat itself and we just stored
the elevated seat.  The crew wanted to make every patient use one!
They gave in when they found out that it cost the patient a couple
of hundred dollars to get the elevated seat!

One drawback to using Benchkote is that it costs about $100 to
prep a room.  Since we are a recharge unit, we find it is cost
effective to use it.  The staff time saved is more than enough
to cover the cost of material.  Let me know how this compares
with your procedures.  Good luck!

Dale E. Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu