Re: EPA Radiation Protection Guidance

I have perused the EPA proposal and offer the following comments to those
who might be moved to respond to the EPA's request to comment.
1.  The EPA uses the "linear hypothesis" to determine the cancer risk
from low levels of radiation.  That hypothesis has come under some
criticism in recent months and years.  It might be worthwhile for all of
us to comment to the EPA to hold off on promulgating this proposed rule
until both the Health Physics Society and the NCRP have completed their
evaluations of whether the hypothesis should continue to be used or
whether some other hypothesis is appropriate as a basis for setting
radiation protection standards.
2.  The Health Physics Society board of directors, at its meeting on
January 29, 1995 in Charleston, SC voted to refer a petition by Wade
Patterson that asked the HPS board to reevaluate the hypothesis, to the
HPS Scientific and Public Issues committee, currently chaired by Ken
Mossman.  I don't know how long Ken will take to complete the evaluation,
but it does seem as though the EPA should wait to see what comes of it.
3.  The NCRP (National Committee on Radiation Protection and
Measurements) recently set up a committee to do a similar reevaluation.
Art Upton is chair.  The EPA should certainly wait for this committee to
complete its work before promulgating the proposed guidance.
4.  I urge all those who are interested in this subject to get the EPA
document, 59 FR 66414 12/23/94, and, if necessary, request and extension
of time to submit comments.  This is too important an issue for the EPA
to rush into.
Al Tschaeche, INEL phone 208-536-3383, e-mail: ATSCHAEC@INEL.GOV