Re: EPA Radiation Protection Guidance

> Date:          Wed, 8 Feb 95 11:29:44 -0600
> From:          Al Tschaeche <ant@pmafire.inel.gov>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: EPA Radiation Protection Guidance

> I have perused the EPA proposal and offer the following comments to those
> who might be moved to respond to the EPA's request to comment.
> 1.  The EPA uses the "linear hypothesis" to determine the cancer risk
> from low levels of radiation.  That hypothesis has come under some
> criticism in recent months and years.  It might be worthwhile for all of
> us to comment to the EPA to hold off on promulgating this proposed rule
> until both the Health Physics Society and the NCRP have completed their
> evaluations of whether the hypothesis should continue to be used or
> whether some other hypothesis is appropriate as a basis for setting
> radiation protection standards.
> 2.  The Health Physics Society board of directors, at its meeting on
> January 29, 1995 in Charleston, SC voted to refer a petition by Wade
> Patterson that asked the HPS board to reevaluate the hypothesis, to the
> HPS Scientific and Public Issues committee, currently chaired by Ken
> Mossman.  I don't know how long Ken will take to complete the evaluation,
> but it does seem as though the EPA should wait to see what comes of it.
> 3.  The NCRP (National Committee on Radiation Protection and
> Measurements) recently set up a committee to do a similar reevaluation.
> Art Upton is chair.  The EPA should certainly wait for this committee to
> complete its work before promulgating the proposed guidance.
> 4.  I urge all those who are interested in this subject to get the EPA
> document, 59 FR 66414 12/23/94, and, if necessary, request and extension
> of time to submit comments.  This is too important an issue for the EPA
> to rush into.
> Al Tschaeche, INEL phone 208-536-3383, e-mail: ATSCHAEC@INEL.GOV
>
> On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Jim F. Herrold wrote:
>
> > In light of today's posts to radsafe regarding NESHAPS and other regulations, I
> > was wondering if anyone had seen the EPA's _Federal Radiation Protection
> > Guidance for Exposure of the General Public_ in the Federal Register, 12/23/94,
> > page 66414. It is very interesting reading. In summary, they are proposing to
> > reduce the maximum allowable risk of cancer five-fold from any Federally
> > regulated activity involving sources of radiation by replacing the current
> > allowable dose to members of the public by a single effective dose equivalent
> > of 100 mrem/y from _all sources_ of ionizing radiation that are created or
> > inhanced by human activities. Sources include not only industrial, defense-
> > related and scientific operations, but also: mining, waste disposal,
> > transportation, CONSUMER PRODUCTS (like thorium mantles and smoke detectors),
> > x-ray generators, etc. "Decisions on what exposures are appropriate candidates
> [...]

you're right on the mark, Mr. Tschaeche,  our comments to the EPA
will be the same.  Adolph Hitler was credited with the statement "
If you yell a lie loud enough and long enough, someone is bound to
believe you".  I wonder if that works for the thruth also?>

Russ
cmeyer@brc1.tdh.texas.gov
(512)834-6688