Re: Bone Densitometry Dosimetry

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Alex Zapantis wrote:

> G'day Radsafers
>
> Can anyone point me towards a good reference for calculating the dose
> received by patients undergoing bone densitometry investigations using an
> x-ray tube based bone densitometer?
>
> Regards
Dear Alex Zapantis:
     While I am not certain my data are relevant to today's equipment,
and "x-ray tube based bone densitomer, " but 25 years ago my colleagues
and I compared several methods for bone density evaluation.  One method
widely used was miniature abdominal roentenographs, for which exposures
estimated were 3 R. for average woman, 5 for an average man, and up to 15
roentgens for persons weighing 180 pounds or more. We concluded that such
practices were unwarranted (Int. J. Epidemiol, vol 2, 303-310, 1973)  We
then compared available methods, and found that spinal X-Ray was
associated with exposures of 1.6 roentgens, roentgenograms of the
extremities (heel and digits) 450 milliroentgens, and 125I scans at the
wrist, 40 milliroentgens. (J. Bone and Joint Surgery Vol 53-A, 83-100,
1971).  Hope this helps.
		Naomi Goldsmith, Ph.D. Ben Gurion U. BeerSheva, Israel
                Phone/FAX 972-7-460998