NARM ALIs -Reply

Tom O'Brien wrote:
>Has anyone dealt with the N-13/O-15 generation from accelerators?
>I'm trying to determine their ALIs.  Also, how does the EPA's
>"Concentration Levels for Environmental Compliance" (from the COMPLY
>code manual) relate to the above?

Tom:

My experience here is nil, I know little about dosimetry and I can't
answer your question about the COMPLY code. Nevertheless, let me
stick my neck out and offer the following: the issue here might be
submersion rather than inhalation (not knowing the chemical form of
the oxygen and nitrogen doesn't help and I'm  assuming they are in
the air). If this is true, a DOE Document "External Dose-rate
Conversion Factors for Calculation of Dose to the Public"
(DOE/EH-0070, July 1988) might help. It gives mrem/year per uCi/cubic
m numbers for immersion. For N-13 the effective dose rate factor is
5.11 E3 and for O-15 its almost exactly the same, 5.12 E3. The report
also give numbers for certain tissues and skin. Maybe these numbers
can help with the calculation and help interpret the COMPLY stuff.

Thanks for getting us back on a technical health physics topic, and
with luck, somebody out there will have a better answer.

Best wishes

Paul Frame