2 Unrelated Questions - Atomic City Smallbore, CNS Damage -Reply

Ralph North wrote:

>  1) I bought a patch at a flea market for "Atomic City Smallbore",
>Oak Ridge, 1955. Does anyone know what it is/was or have any
>interesting history on it?

>  2) What is the mechanism by which large acute doses damage the
>central nervous system?

Ralph:

The 1950s were the days when "Atomic" was a wonderful word. No
longer. Nevertheless, Oak Ridge still has its "Atomic Speedway",
"Atomic City Auto Parts" "Atomic Lodge" and "Atomic City Tool Co".
The "Atomic Beagle Club" might still be operational as well. There is
no "Atomic City Smallbore" club. Let me suggest you call the Oak
Ridge Sportsmans Assoc for info: (615) 483 9108.

How large (ca 5000 rads and up) acute whole body doses affect the
nervous system is not clear. What used to be called the central
nervous system (CNS) syndrome, that resulted from such doses,  is now
more commonly called the neurovascular syndrome (C.C. Lushbaugh
called it cardiovascular shock syndrome).  A problem is that there
have only been a couple of humans exposed to such doses. Therefore
the human data is limited and the animal data is conflicting.

As I understand it, death will be within a couple of days. The victim
will become disoriented, experience respiratory difficulties, go into
a coma very shortly after the exposure, say within 30 minutes. There
is a jump in blood histamine concentrations. This is linked to a
sharp drop in blood pressure. Blood supply to the brain drops
reducing the ability to function and leading to coma. The blood brain
barrier increases in permeability and there is a substantial increase
in the pressure in the skull (cerebral edema) and this pressure on
the CNS might lead to death. The damage is not related to direct
effects of radiation on the nervous system directly.

The best advice is to avoid such exposures.

Regards

Paul Frame
Oak Ridge Associated Universities