Performance vs Accreditation vs Litigation

        There have been many discussions on the improvements seen in
        the quality of site dosimetry programs post accreditation era
        both NVLAP and DOELAP - the general consensus being that programs
        are measureably better now than a decade ago.  Also, I have heard
        discussions on the benefits of the NVLAP accreditation when it
        comes to defending against litigation.

        I would be interested in any documented information that demonstrates
        the long term benefits of the NVLAP program (I have info on DOELAP),
        information on the average costs of defending against litigation,
        and the benefits that accreditations have played in such defenses.
        What are peoples feelings of the benefits of a bioassay accreditation
        in todays climate.  American Nuclear Insurers have indicated that
        internal will be the next area that we will have to defend against
        (e.g. the recent judgement in favor of an ex NRC inspector).

        Your thoughts are appreciated.

        * Robert M. Loesch                                   *
        * DOELAP Administrator     U.S. Department of Energy *
        *                          EH-411, GTN, 270 CC       *
        * (301) 903-4443   voice   Washington, DC  20585     *
        * (301) 903-7773   fax                               *
        *           email: loesch@viper.eh.doe.gov           *
           Random number generation is too important a task
                      to be left to chance!