Re: Cinder Blocks

>>Does anyone know a good reference listing the lead equivalency of hollow
>>cinder blocks at various energies? A simple measurement shows the hollow
>>portion, about 2.5 inches of cinder block (this ain't no 147 lb/ft3), to
>>be about one HVL at 662 keV. At 420 or 350 kVp, one HVL would probably
>>be very conservative.

I've done this before .....

Just weigh the block and then assess its volume via calculation or
displacement.  To assess via displacment be SURE to seal it first so it
doesn't absorb the water.

THEN to be conservative - ignore the center partition thus assuming a
completely hollow block and using the density just determined calculated the
attenuation as if it were concrete.

Actually for the energies mentioned - I'd not consider hollow block!  Filled
block at least.  Even then additional shielding would most likely be
necessary.