Re: ABHP Certification Review Course

Regarding the ABHP Review Courses,

Here's a suggestion that helped me with Part 1:

The year I took Part 1 I also attended the Annual Meeting.  I took some of the
PEP courses on topics with which I don't routinely work with or think about.
For example, Non-Ionizing Radiation, Transportation review...etc.  Taking these
classes gave me +5 questions in my final score (laser classification, microwave
power densities).

I also found the program HP EXAM to be useful.  This program provided good
examples of the questions (it seemed that some of them were very similar, though
how many ways can some questions be asked) posed in the Part 1 test, and gave an
idea of the time limit and its impact.

I found that every minute given was needed to complete the test and review the
questionable answers.  If I had got up to get a drink of water during the test
the resulting loss of time would have cost me a few questions and maybe a
passing score(?).  Of course some people finished quickly but it seemed that the
test in Atlanta had a lot of people stay till the end.

A good understanding of radiation interaction with matter (especially detector
media) would be very helpful.

Good Luck

Rob Gunter
ORNL