Re[2]: Simulation of Radioactive Contamination

          Another simulation I was part of during my stint in the
          Navy.  We were doing a base wide drill in which we had a
          major reactor incident aboard my submarine.  Our Corpsman
          had just had a medical procedure done involving radioactive
          materials and we were able to get decent counts off of him.
          The drill coordinator got the bright idea to send him up to
          the hospital as a contaminated injured man.  Normally the
          hospital personnel only put minimal effort into these
          drills.  When our corpsman arrived the tech at the hospital
          reported to the doctor that he was reading several mrem/hr
          from the patient.  The doctor was unimpressed, since that
          was the drill scenario, however his attitude changed rapidly
          when the tech emphasized that he was really getting several
          mrem off of the patient.  I guess they just about fell over
          themselves trying to get with the program and figure out
          what was going on.  One even called down to the boat to ask
          if it really was just a drill.  Good chuckles on our part
          and a rude wake up call for the hospital.

          Gene Forrer