Re: Banana Equivalent Dose -Reply

As I recall from my clinical chem lab tech days, the larger K+ ion tends
to be concentrated inside cells, and the serum level of K stays _very_
constant at about 4 meq/dl, if my recollection is right. (I only did
40,000 to 50,000 blood electrolyte levels - you tend to forget the units.)
I don't know what the exchange rate for K is, but it is prsesent in signif-
icant amounts in the urine, at concentrations that vary comparatively widely.
This would suggest, I suppose, that the body regulates K very closely, disposingof excess amounts very rapidly.  Perhaps someone should do a study by feeding
Reference Bananas to....

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu
1101 East 57th Street, Room 11
Chicago, Illinois  60637
           -- Opinions expressed are soley the author's --