Sewers, more bananas, and the GAO

I have receive several request to make available a synopsis of the prepared
witness testimony and will do so.  It will take a couple of days.  The written
testimony is probably not as interesting or revealing as the oral testimony, but

worthwhile nevertheless.  I will also visit our law library later this week
and see if they have the complete hearings yet.

A second document people might want to note is a GAO Report to Congressional
Requesters titled "NUCLEAR REGULATION  Action needed to Control Radioactive
contamination at Sewage Treatment Plants", May 1994.  The only reference number
on it is GAO/RCED-94-133.  A worthy challenge for your gov't doc.s librarian.
Or you can obtain one copy free by writing U.S. General Accounting Office,
PO Box 6015, Gaithersburg, MD 20884-6015; or call (202) 512-6000; or fax (301)
258-4066.

I think that my impression of this document was that it (1) said very
little; (2) said it repeatedly; and (3) seemed like it was written by
an MBA with the first principle of the beaurocrat, CYA, foremost in his
mind.

BTW:  The European Union has indeed defined a Reference Banana.  They
specified the length, curvature, etc.  This definition caused something
of a storm in Britain where it was viewed as an attempt to exluce produce
from Britain's former Caribbean colonies.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu
1101 East 57th Street, Room 11
Chicago, Illinois  60637
                 -- Opinions are the author's --