Badge for X-ray machine users?

*** Reply to note of 03/11/95 13:14
rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

As an non medical x-ray inspector, x-ray units in universities can be very
hazardous. I've seen very old diffraction x-ray units with open beam paths
placed in an area unsupervised and accessible to students. I have measured
 100 mR/hour at about 2 feet away from an x-ray unit that was regularly
 used by students without badges.
  Depending on who is responsible or not responsible, HOW IT IS USED and/or
controllled has a great deal to do with whether a TLD is required. The
exposure rate from an x-ray unit can be higher than a large radioactive source
in the primary beam.
 So we here in the "state" of BC Canada have a number of
newer enclosed x-ray units with lots of safety features and knowledgeable
operators with no badges. On the other hand we have older less safe x-ray
units with operators who not only wear a whole body badge, but also a finger
tld. It has to be assessed on an individual basis.Until all the old junkers
are gone.

The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
This is a disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, news
groups, etc., on the internet.