Re: Badge for X-ray machine users?

The state of New Jersey regulates "analytical x-ray installations", which
includes x-ray diffraction equipment, very closely and requires us to provide
users with finger or wrist monitoring devices.  We provide all users of analy-
tical x-ray equipment with body film badges and TLD ring badges.  Our experi-
ence indicates that x-ray machine users are considerably less likely to show
doses in excess of "minimal" than radioisotope users.  We have had 2 incidents
in about the last 25 years involving accidental exposure to the x-ray beam, but
neither one was caught by personnel monitoring devices.
I was pretty new to the University when the second one occurred - the
user involved knew immediately what he had done and called us right away.  This
last incident, which occurred about 15 years ago, involved a machine which had
no fail-safe lights and no interlock on the sample chamber door, both of which
were contributing factors to the incident.

Shortly after,the state issued extensive regulations for analytical x-ray units
and all of our machines were retrofitted to meet the regulations.  There hasn't
been a breath of trouble since then.  Having heard about an incident at
UC Davis within the last year or two, I've been very curious about how such an
incident occurred with presumably modern equipment.  I've meant to find out who
to call at UC Davis to ask about the incident but haven't yet.  Do any of you
know who to call or do any of you know anything about the incident?

George, if you have further questions about Princeton's experience with x-ray
equipment, please feel free to reach me at 609/258-6252 or dupre@princeton.edu

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University