Re: Re(2): Radiation Biology

To:  Robert Jeffrey Gunter

I hope you are not referring to the lecture I gave in the 1994 Health
Physics Society Summer School, which was published as Chapter 23 in
"Intrnal Radiation Dosimetry", the text for the course.  Clearly, no such
statement was made.  The Registries have seen and documented potential
deterministic effects in a donor who suffered a massive intake of Am-241
11 years prior to death.  This case, of course, is the famous Hanford Am
exposure case, identified as USTUR 0246.  Five papers characterizing the
United States Transuranium and Uranium Registries' evaluation of this
case have been submitted for publication in Health Physics and have
undergone the first round of peer review.  We hope that these papers will
be accepted as revised and appear in print soon that our findings can be
shared in detail with the scientific community.

The Registries also published in the January 1995 issue of Health Physics
a paper on risk coefficients for alpha radiation based on postmortem
radiochemical analysis of tissues from two whole body donations.
Dosimetry estimates from these cases were used in conjuction with
previously published epidemiologic studies to determine risk coefficients
for liver tumors, osteogenic sarcomas, and leukemias.  Comparison with
BEIR IV showed good agreement for the liver tumors, but lower value than
BEIR IV for the bone cancer and a much higher risk coefficient than BEIR
IV for leukemia.

Obviously, the two brief paragraphs do not tell the whole story.  Those
who wish to learn more of the work and findings of the Registries may
wish to request a copy of our most recent annual report, which provides a
25 year history of the Registries as well as the most recent scientific
findings and postmortem radiochemical data and in vivo dosimetry results
for five whole body donors.  Copies are available without charge so long
as supplies last.  Anyone wishing a copy should write to the U.S.
Transuranium and Uranium Registries (can abbreviate as USTUR), Washington
State University, 100 Sprout Road, Richland, WA 99352.

As I said above, I sure hope it wasn't my lecture to which you had
reference, for if so, I apparently left you with a misconception about
what the Registries program is all about and what we can and cannot do.
If it was not me, I sure would like to know who it was.

Ron Kathren
Director, USTUR