Re: Student Use of Radiation

William Bradford asked about radiation safety for students. Last year I asked
Linda Kasner (now Howell?) of NRC region IV how students who are not employees
are viewed under the regulations. In particular, whether they were treated as
general public or employees. She told me that students are willing participants
(they pay to be there) and therefore fall under the same exposure limits and
training requirements as employees. Here at the U of Wyoming there is a
Radioisotope Techniques class through Molecular Biology. The instructor does a
good job of explaining atomic theory and basic radiation safety practices. I
just show up to talk about regulations and the radiation safety program at UW.
We also issue film badges -- I know this is unnecessary, due to the tiny
amounts of P-32 they use, but, since this is hands-on training for what they
will probably be doing in a rad lab some day, I consider it a good experience
for them to have. Besides, it puts their minds at ease. If any of these
students become grad assistants in rad labs we still require them to sit
through the full-blown Radiation Safety class.

Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming