Badges for X-Ray Machine Users

Randy, I presume that in your recent posting about the need for film badges you
were really referring to the actual risk-based, hazard-related need when you
said "Some x-ray devices really do not need badged operators ....".  This would
be different than using "need" to mean "required by regulation".  In the state
of New Jersey (and presumably other states as well?) operators of x-ray diffrac
tion units are required by regulation to wear finger or wrist dosimeters and
cabinet x-ray operators (even those totally enclosed redundantly interlocked
units) must wear "appropriate personnel monitoring equipment".  We have a cab-
net x-ray unit on campus - and the state inspector expects to see all of its
users wearing TLD or film badges.

We could all argue about whether those badges are really needed but my office
must still provide those users with badges or be in violation of the law.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University