Badges for X-Ray Machine Users

*** Reply to note of 03/17/95 12:19
rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

Sue, I don't know how to say this without leaving the impression that the
 Radiation Protection people in BC are...(well you fill in the blank)  In
 Canada (pity) {joke for tea lovers} well in BC anyway we have NO Provincial
 regulations on industrial X-ray equipment.  There is a federal act governing
 design and construction of the units sold, leased, etc. but the USE of the
devices is a provincial responsibility.  So since we have allotted 1 inspector
(me) to cover all the non-medical x-ray equipment for the entire province and
to devote only 5 - 10 % of his (my) time to it our first thought is usually
not to non- "actual risk-based, hazard-related needs".
So these inspectors that come around, are they really needed?  Do they
perceive themselves as performing some useful function? Sorry to be so blunt,
but these are the types of questions we have to deal with daily when deciding
how to prioritz our tasks. (Note where radsafe falls) Perhaps they could look
at transferring some of the responsibility for radiation safety to the people
who actually have the responsibility for safety (yourself? & user).
In case anybody is wondering, we don't have a whole bunch of x-ray injuries
 up here simply because we don't have regulations- amazing eh? I'll bet there
 are people reading this that don't believe that's even possible.

Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, British Columbia
The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
This is a disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, news
groups, etc., on the internet.