HP/Academic-Admin

I just returned from a 3-day trip and have read my 200+ E-mail messages.
I will find a way to turn this off or ignore it!
The topic of administrative duties in HP is near and dear to my heart.  I
have 20+ years experience in radiation effects: Radiobiology, Nuclear Medicine,
Nuclear Effects Engineering, Reactor Health Physics, and now am Radiation
Safety Officer for a major University.  I find that 75% or more of my time is
occupied doing administrative, regulatory, or other management duties.  Though
I enjoy the pay, enjoy the work, and enjoy the theoretical technical inter-
change, I am concerned with the dearth of hard HP in my work.  What concerns me
more is that the Certification examinations, particularly the second part, seem
to be wholly oriented to technical aspects.  The Universtiy or Regulatory
environment requires a working knowledge of applied HP, but a high level of
technical/theoretical knowledge is not only not required, but may also divert
precious time from areas which are more important to this position.  I had
hoped to find awareness of this problem in the Health Physics Society, but I
was disappointed.  Personally, I think the HPS should be a leader in recog-
nition of trends in the profession, not a follower.  I encourage each person
involved in management of a University radiation safety program to attend the
Campus Radiation Safety Officer's meeting in Los Angeles this June, to voice
recognition of the unique requirements of managing this type of program, and
to support a professional level of recognition of managenment of a radiation
safety program.

I have been told by several professionals in this field that completing a Ph.D.
in Health Physics or Radiation Safety is far less rewarding than being
certified in Health Physics and completing a Masters in Business Administration
  Perhaps the professional organization will come to recognize the value in
certifying the ability of a technical professional to MANAGE a program with
many aspects of radiation exposure.
John C. White, Radiation Safety Officer
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas