Re: HP/Academic-Admin

>John C. White, Radiation Safety Officer
>The University of Texas at Austin
>Austin, Texas
>
>You wrote:
>
>The topic of administrative duties in HP is near and dear to my heart.
I have 20+ years experience in radiation effects: Radiobiology, Nuclear
Medicine, Nuclear Effects Engineering, Reactor Health Physics, and now
am Radiation Safety Officer for a major University.  I find that 75% or
more of my time is occupied doing administrative, regulatory, or other
management duties.

My Comment:

I have had a similar experience after I certified and became a Radiation
Safety Officer for an aerospace company.  I feel that with the passing
of the Power Reactors specialty exam, that ABHP should explore an
"Applied HP" category and a "Technical HP" category, as these appear to
be the new categories in the profession.

>You wrote:
>I encourage each person involved in management of a University
radiation safety program to attend the Campus Radiation Safety Officer's
meeting in Los Angeles this June, to voice recognition of the unique
requirements of managing this type of program, and to support a
professional level of recognition of managenment of a radiation safety
program.

My Comment:

Where and when will this meeting be held?

Thanks,

Jim Barnes, CHP(PR)
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division, Rockwell International