Re: Tritium

> 1. Do any of you have any references on the permeability of gloves to
> tritium? Currently contaminated parts are handled with standard latex
> surgical gloves, and I want to know if they are doing any good. We're
> using them for ALARA reasons because the parts are not THAT
> contaminated. But the gloves become radwaste, and if they're not
> protecting the employees, eliminating them could reduce the waste
> stream, or we could switch to gloves that do protect.

There are two references that I like for tritium, one is the Mound Labs
"Health Physics Manual of Good Pratices for Tritium Facilities" 1991
MLM-3719 EG&G Mound Applied Technologies, Miamisburg, Ohio 45343

This is an excellent source of info, including rates of diffusion across
common materials, and recommended gloves, ect.

The of reference is the International Atomic Energy Agency.(1982) Safe
handling of Tritium: Safety Series No. 34. Vienna. IAEA.

I have a copy of the DOE manual in draft form, but I am sure you can find
a real copy of it somewhere.

-Bruce Busby