RADSAFE

     Gary Festarini wrote :
     >  am looking for information on how RADSAFE'rs use bar coding
     >technology in the following areas:
     >
     >External Dosimetry
     >Internal Dosimetry
     >Waste Management
     >Radioactive Source Management
     >Access Control
     >Instrument Calibration
     >

     >Thanks in advance.

     We use barcode labels and readers as an interface for chain of custody
     procedures and process control.  We conduct the DOE Laboratory
     Accreditation Program for external personnel dosimetry.  Dosimeters
     from participating labs are affixed with a barcode label on arriving.
     They are tracked through the testing process using that label.  When
     irradiated, the group barcode is read into the computer along with
     each individual barcode so the computer can determine the irradiator
     and determine the dose to deliver to the dosimeters.

     In the other parts of the lab, barcodes are used for chain of custody
     for bio-environmental samples that undergo radioanalytical analysis.
     In addition, the Rad Con people are using barcodes to track routine
     contamination surveys.

     Rick Cummings      cumminfm@inel.gov

     Usual disclaimer... opinions and advice are only my own and worth what
     you paid for them.