Workplace and stack air sampling

Howdy:

This is primarily in response to a question of Kevin Roberts.

A committee has just been assembled to produce an ANSI standard
dealing with air sampling in the workplace. The chairman is Curtis
Graham of LLNL. The committee itself is designated PLANCO 57 but no
ANSI number (e.g. N13.1) has been assigned. Previous committees have
come and gone so there is no guarantee here. Obviously a final
standard cannot be expected in the immediate future. Some folk might
be interested in obtaining the following:

"Air Sampling in the Workplace" NUREG 1400 which was published in
final form in September of 1993. Some of those who worked on this
NUREG are also on the ANSI committee.

"Air Sampling in the Workplace" NRC Reg Guide 8.25, June 1992.

"Implementation Guide for use with Title 10, code of federal
regulations, Part 835, Workplace Air Monitoring" G-10 CFR 835/E2-Rev1
November 1994.

I asked John Glissmeyer, the chairman of the ANSI N13.1 working
group on stack sampling, to review the response I posted to a
question on radsafe about the committee's activities and an
appropriate stack sampling port location. He made three points.
John said my comment was overstated that flow straighteners might be
required if cyclonic flow existed. He suggested that flow
straighteners would be appropriate only in extreme cases of cyclonic
flow. He also said that sampling on a horizontal duct run would not
be a problem since we were looking for iodine. My stated assumption
was that we would also be looking for particulates but I didn't make
it clear which of my recommendations applied to particulates only. He
also emphasized the importance of my comment that it might be
necessary to perform preliminary measurements to evaluate the
concentration at various points across the effluent.

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Oak Ridge Associated Universities
framep@orau.gov