Re: DoT rule

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 07:47:09 -0500
> From: "Les Slaback, Health Physics" <SLABACK@micf.nist.gov>
> Subject:      DoT rule
>
> But if the material is from a licensed source it is still licensed material
> subject to NRC rules.
> And of course, if you are a licensee once you acquire this material within
> the scope of your license NRC will probably consider it licensed material,
> which raises an interesting question....
> If you acquire RAM thru environmental sampling for which you don't have a
> license are you in trouble?

"Well, in Texas, the answer is yes...."

We license two types of environmental labs.  Those who are analyzing
environmental samples for radioactive material, and those who are
analyzing for non-RAM constituents.  Both can potentially receive
licensable quantities and really aren't that different from a
licensing standpoint.  They screen all incoming samples for "trigger
levels", handle them with appropriate care, and generally return all
materials to the customer.  We don't worry too much about anything
else unless they are generating a complex waste stream through
additional lab services.

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P., Administrator
Licensing Branch
Texas Bureau of Radiation Control

NOTE: Due to changes in the world and the way
things are, my email address has changed to:
       wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us