Re: D&D for Plutonium Areas

The person requesting this information originally sent the request to
the SAFETY listserver.  I sent him email recommending that he post the
request to RADSAFE because of the high quality of many of the professionals
on this list, a number of whom should have relevant expertise.  I am
very disappointed by the flame war that erupted over the request.  Perhaps
some government employees have forgotten that the public they serve include
"mercenary" consultants as well as noble, self-sacrificing and altruistic
civil servants.  I feel that the person requesting the information has as
much right, and certainly the need for this information as anyone else and
if it is forthcoming, will certainly assist in minimizing the exposures
of the people who will ultimately be involved in his project.  Moreover,
since the project involves Pu, which to date has had negligible civilian
and commercial use, it seems very likely that a government agency was
or will be responsible for the contamination.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu
1101 East 57th Street, Room 11
Chicago, Illinois  60637
                -- Any opinions are the author's --