Medical Response to Reactor Accident -Reply

Daniel Caputo wrote:

> 1) do we have a method for calculating casualties from a
>nuclear power plant accident?

> 2) do we have a method for projecting medical materiel needed
>to treat nuclear casualties?

>I request any information that radsafers may have concerning the
>above questions.  I am particularly interested in technical
>studies or references that may address the questions (similar
>to the WASH-1400 study).

Question 1.  This is certainly outside my area, but I have a few
references (maybe not the best) that might help. They all address the
issue of early casualties - some in passing, some in detail. I think
you really need to talk to someone within the NRC/FEMA. I don't have
a name for you at the NRC but at FEMA Carl Siebentritt, assuming he's
still there, would be a good place to start. The number I have for
him is (703) 443-2100.

"Preparedness and Response in Radiation Accidents" PHS HHS
Publication FDA 83-8211, Aug. 1983.

"Severe Accident Risks: An Assessment for Five U.S. Nuclear Power
Plants" NRC NUREG-1150, Vol 2. (my copy says second draft). There are
several NUREGS pertaining to computor codes related to this NUREG
that have been, or are being,  completed at Sandia National
Laboratories. You might do well to contact one of the following at
Sandia: R.L. Iman, D.I. Chanin, L.R. Ritchie or J.C. Helton.

" Criteria for Preparation and Evaluation of Radiological Emergency
Response Plans and Preparedness in Support of Nuclear Power Plants"
NUREG -0654-Rev-1. NRC/FEMA. Nov 1980.

These documents are a source for other references.

As far as question 2 is concerned, you might want to contact someone
at REAC/TS (which is part of Oak Ridge Associated Universities).
Their speciality is the medical and radiological response to
radiation accidents, they are partly funded by WHO, and have done
quite a bit of work outside the U.S.. At REAC/TS you could try Ron
Goans, Bob Ricks or Mary Ellen Berger. Mary Ellen's number is (615)
576 2210. Sorry, I have no references here.

Best wishes

Paul Frame