Re[2]: Reseachers do their monthly lab survey?

     We do it both ways.  The investigator is responsible for doing
     complete surveys on a weekly basis, or after each use if use is less
     frequent than weekly.  In addition Radiation Control personnel do spot
     check surveys in each lab on a monthly basis.  These checks are not
     comprehensive surveys but involve swipes of three or four high use
     locations in a lab as well as a quick meter survey if gamma emitters
     are used.

     Investigator survey records are reviewed as a part of our routine
     laboratory inspections.  We also do a complete independent
     contamination survey at that time.  These inspection are performed on
     a frequency ranging from quarterly to annually, depending on the use
     level of the lab.  We also spend a good part of our technician
     training seminar emphasizing the inportance of contamination control,
     contamination surveys and the maintenance of records of such surveys.

     Ed Pombier                              University of Miami
     Director and Radiation Safety Officer   Radiation Control Center
     epombier@mednet.med.miami.edu           P.O. Box 016960 (R61)
                                             Miami, FL  33101