Date:    Mon, 24 Apr 1995 10:16:40 -0500
From:    Rob MacCormick <ROB@HARV-EHS.MHS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Hot watch!

Hello!
     A colleague (who doesn't CURRENTLY subscribe) asked me to post the
following with the hope of getting some feedback......A researcher
discovered during a routine radiation survey that the face of his Seiko
watch was producing a dose rate of 400cpm with a low energy NaI
scintillation probe. No dose rate was detected at the back of the watch.

     Because radium is no longer in use as a "luminant" (is this a
word?), what isotope could be involved? Perhaps some kind soul who
subscribes to RADSAFE could cross post this as I don't subscribe.....Any
information would be most appreciated!

     His email address is spaula@biosun.harvard.edu, I'll forward any

Rob M

Rob MacCormick
Associate Industrial Hygienist
Harvard University
46 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138-1995
(617)-495-3055
Fax:(617)-495-0593
Rob@harv-ehs.mhs.harvard.edu
rob_maccormick@harvard.edu

Kristin Erickson, Radiation Safety Officer
Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
C124 Research Complex-Eng.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
Telephone: (517) 355-5008   Fax: (517)353-4871   Email: 10525kfb@msu.edu