Hormesis and such

I know I have yet to lift myself to the peerage level, but IMHO, I will
get there some day.

Someone asked if we "believed" in hormesis.

Later, in a separate message regarding consultants and HP work, Michael
Boltzer stated
(parts snipped)
>          It has been my experience that people often appreciate
>          (not neccessarily like,  but appreciate) knowing when
>          they are over their head and need to call in the calvary.

I know in the John Wayne westerns, we all breathed a sigh of relief
at the sight of the Cavalry.  It seemed to me, when I was in Georgia,
that the cardiology techs looked at me that way :) when I came to
decon their stress treadmills after a Tl-201 spill.

Fortunately, I had enough faith(?) in myself that I did not usually
need to call on Calvary, although one or two Colonels did put the fear
in me once.

Please forgive my digression, but after seeing all of the traffic, I
couldn't help but put in a little play on words.  After all, if we
as HPs are to be able to communicate with the public on matters of
rad safety, should we not have some mastery of our language?

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     * JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                           *
     *  Directorate for Applied Technology, Test and   *
     *                     Simulation (DATTS)          *
     *  US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002    *
     *  ATTN: Health Physics                           *
     * FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064      *
     * e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil            *
     The chicken HAD to come first.  An egg would have been
     fried and eaten.