Re: Hg+H3

A recent poster asserts:

>You will need to get access to LSC for your analysis\guesstimate.

It occurs to me -- Where is it written the only instruments we can use are
radiation detection instruments?

Perhaps there are published metallurgical/chemical data on how mercury's
density varies with hydrogen concentration.  Given those data, and the
ability to measure temperature, volume, and mass, an assessment of tritium
content should be doable in short order.

Another idea:  Seal some of it up for a while, then sample the gas for He-3.
Maybe Don's got easier access to mass spec than LSC.

I looked in my old metallurgical thermodynamics book to see if there was
anything about manipulating gases dissolved in metal melts, but couln't find
anything useful.  It's an introductory book, anyway.
Albert Lee Vest          The Ohio State University
Health Physicist                 B-042 Graves Hall
(614)292-0122                 333 West 10th Avenue
"Action brings good fortune" - Syd Barrett
"Rock n roll" - John Goodman     Columbus OH 43210
My employer did not review or approve this message.