Re: Training Video Tape for X-ray Users

While a "real person" training instructor is nearly always better than an
automated program, we have compromised by establishing a two stage training
system for radioisotope users at the University of California, Irvine that
works quite well.

Stage I is a short (half-hour) videotape followed by handbook review and
open book quiz.  This serves as "initial training" and permits the new user
to start work and obtain "on-the-job" training in the lab.  It specifies
that the work is to be carefully supervised (although it does not  require
the presence of the supervissor after the completion of the "on-the-job"
training period.  We show the videotape at four different times during the week.

Stage II is a 6-hour seminar (with 4 different instructors) which must be
completed within 4 months of the user starting to work with radioisotopes.
Completion of Stage II training is required before certain tasks can be done
independently--iodinations, official radiation safety duties in the lab,
etc.  We give the seminar 4 or 5 times during the year (divided into two
3-hour sessions).  Students who work in carefully supervised projects that
do not last for 4 months are exempt from completing stage II.

We would like to get good videotapes for nonmedical x-ray users (including
cabinet systems) and sealed source users so we can set up similar training
programs for them.  Does anyone know of any?

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
RSO, Univ. of California, Irvine, 92717-2725
Voice: (714) 824-6904; Fax: (714) 824-8539
E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu