Re: tritium or not

> From: "Randy Ross" <RNROSS@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca>
> Subject: tritium or not
>
> OK, so if I'm out on a call regarding some radioactive materials mess...
>   and tritium is the isotope. 1. Can I measure radiation off it with my GM and
>  2. why would I want to?3. What is the primary hazard with a tritium spilll
>  and how do I protect myself?

1) If you can, there is a really big problem;
2) You wouldn't; and
3) Inhalation.  Depends on how big it is.  Ventillation is #1; Toss
absorbent material on the spill is #2; If real big, supplied air
might be advised.  If not so big, who cares?  You can inhale a lot of
tritium before there is a problem  (ALI is 80 mCi for tritiated
water...It takes a lot of tritiated gas to make that much water.)

Wes
NOTE: Due to changes in the world and the way
things are, my email address has changed to:
       wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us