Re: Background Information

> Date:          Mon, 1 May 95 14:45:53 -0500
> From:          CHEME1234@aol.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Background Information

> I am fascinated by the risk benefit decisions that are going to have to be
> made in the cleanup of the nuclear waste fiasco. I have a degree in chemical
> engineering, but have never worked in the nuclear field.
>
> I am looking for an in print textbook or two to bring myself up to speed on
> radiation health physics of low level exposures (civilian and occupational)
> to radiation (especially from uranium and plutonium isotopes.)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Roy Eshbaugh

Dear Roy:

I would suggest, for starters,
"Introduction to Health Physics" by Cember;
"Radiation Protection" by Shapiro and
"Radiation and Human Health" by J Newell Stannard  (2000 pages and a
beautiful tome about all the research regarding health effects,
including those from Pu and U).

In addition, you'd better "wire" into the Health Physics Society in
McLean, VA.  Many of the members have done extensive research on
health effects.

The Heakth Physics Society Newsletter contains some well written
discussions about low level radiation and the cost for cleanup.