Re: the term "health physics"

>>Well, as long as it's friday, and there are folks in a storytelling mood
>>out there, would someone care to explain how the term "health physics"
>>came about?  Thanks!

It just so happens that I have the answer to that one!!!

In the JAMA several years ago there was an article entitled "When Health
Physics was the New Kid on the Block".

The article talks about early Health Physics.

The name arose during the Manhatten project (along with names like Cutie
Pie).  The preferred name at the time WOULD have been Radiation Physicist
BUT due to security concerns they did want ANYTHING that pointed to
radiation or nuclear processes in ANY way.  Thus arose the monicure Health
Physics as a purposely circumspect/covert title.

JAMA 8/7/91 Vol 256, No 5 pp 711-714  J Newell Stannard, Phd

Another one of those articles I keep copies of readily available for hand
out.