Re: RADSAFE digest 515

  The radionuclide production people have just been given a photocopy of
>      a new version of the IATA "SHIPPER'S DECLARATION FOR DANGEROUS GOODS"
>      form. It has an extra column for "Packing Group" which was not on the
>      old form. I assume that the photocopy has come from the IATA Dangerous
>      Goods Regulations. Unfortunately, the edition we have (29th Edition ,
>      effective 1 January , 1988) does not have any reference to the
>      "Packing Group." Can anybody tell me what this column refers to.
>      These forms will accompany packages containing cyclotron produced
>      radiopharmaceuticals.

Column F of the new IATA dangerous goods book lists a packing group.
The packing group was introduced to allow people to choose the proper
packaging type.   Packing Group I materials are  the most hazardous
and Packaing Group III materials are the least hazardous.

Since Radioactive Materials always used a package rating system I
don't believe that they have assigned them packing groups.

I just glanced at the 1995 edition of the IATA Dangerous Goods
Regulations, and the classification of radioactive materials (see
section 6  page 461) still assigns a hazard rating with type A and B
packages and a transportation index.  I didn't see any packing group
assignments,  nor are there any packing group entries on page 199 of
the shipping tables listing radioactive materials.