Re: Iodinations

>What procedures (equipment, training, etc) do you use for your labs
>that perform iodinations?

We require all iodinations to be done in a fume hood, and require a lab coat
and two pairs of gloves (shoulder-length veterinary exam gloves inside,
standard disposable gloves outside).  The long gloves are to protect against
skin absorption in the arms.  We are beginning to require users to have an
appropriate NaI survey meter for iodinations, but the "requirement" is
pretty new.  In the past, a GM was OK, with an NaI detector "recommended".

Our 6-hour radiation safety seminar includes a demo of the use of the
shoulder-length gloves, and info on procedures, plus external and internal
dosimetry.

For I-125, we require thyroid counts for administrative purposes (e.g.,
users are not likely to exceed 10% of the CEDE) for work with 10
mCi/iodination or more (quarterly) for adults, and 1 mCi/iodination or more
(monthly) for declared pregnant women and minors between 16-18.

For I-125., we would require (if anyone ever used such quantities) more
frequent thyroid counts for users required to be monitored at levels of 100
mCi/iodination or more for adults (every 2 weeks) and 10 mCi/iodination or
more for declared pregnant women and minors 16-18 (weekly).

We would try to discourage a pregnant woman from doing any iodinations, but
it would be her decision to make.

Minors under 16 are not permitted to work with radioactivity.  This can be a
problem when we have a few new undergrads of 10-12 and grad students of 12-14.