Re: Iodinations

It's been almost 2 years since an iodination was last performed here.  Seems to
be no interest among the researchers at present.  But, back when they were be-
ing performed, we always had a health physicist on hand to do breathing zone
and stack air sampling.  If the researcher was new to doing iodinations, the HP
would brief her/him on special iodination precautions and would observe the
procedure to provide useful feedback on radiation safety techniques.  Regard-
less of the quantity being used in the iodination, we asked the researcher to
come in for a thyroid count.  We had few enough iodinations being done that it
wasn't burdensome to us to take these steps for any iodination.  Having an HP
observe the procedure and always doing a thyroid count, regardless of quantity
used, paid off by providing good feedback about the researcher's technique.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University