Re: Mo-99 and Tc-99m:possible loss of supply

Marv --

For some time a number of us scientists and others who comprise the
informal Nuclear Medicine Research Working Group centered here in the
Tri-Cities have been concerned that the U.S. is virtually wholly
dependent upond foreign sources (largely Canada) for medical
radioisotopes.  In fact, the entire U.S. supply of Tc-99 is
from Canada.  The NRU reactor, where the Tc-99 is produced, was down for
about three days in late April but is now back on line.  The
pharmaceutical companies in the U.S., in fact, sent out noticies to
hospitals around the countries warning them of the possible lack of
availability of this vital radionuclide.  The crisis is now resolved, but
the problem is not as we are still dependent on foreign sources.  As a
past president of the HPS and a concerned citizen, I urge the HPS to take
a position with the DOE regarding a realistic and prompt domestic source
of supply, as ANS has already done.

I will be glad to talk with you (509-375-5643) in more depth should you
desire.

Ron Kathren