Re: Mo-99 and Tc-99m:possible loss of supply

Many years ago, the University of Missouri Research Reactor Facility looked
into the possibility of processing irradiated U-235 aluminum clad coupons
to process fission product radionuclides. The idea was to capture for
sale I-131, Xe-133, Ba/La-140, and Mo/Tc-99. Basically, the scale of operations
and process containment were seen as beyond the scope of a University Research
Reactor Facility. Remember, the processing unit is basically a fuel reprocessing
center with all the attendent problems. The enriched uranium must be reclaimed.
I realize our dependence on foreign processing, but I do not think this requires
governmental action. If it is profitable to do this overseas, or over land (can-
ada), it must be profitable to do it here as well. There are strict release laws
in the countries where it is being processed. There are many facilities capable
of supplying the irradiated coupons. It is not as great a problem to engineer
a secure radiation facility that can handle the inevitable pinhole leak. This
part was deemed feasible at that time (around 1974) by MURR. Basically,
Mallinckrodt was able to get fission product moly from Union Carbide's
Tuxedo, NY reactor and processing facility at the time, so they did not
pursue the construction of a processing facility at MURR. At that time it was
not beyond the realm of possibility to go through the siting procedured for
the processing facility. I know it would be a very long haul to license such
a facility today, if it could be done at all.

But, typical of American business, if it is profitable, they will find a way
to get it done.

Michael Kay, ScD, CHMM