Re: restricted area == rad prot prog

I believe that there is a problem with the language of
the regs.  In recent licensing correspondence with the
Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, we were asked
about training of ancillary personel.  We felt that
they were treating all areas of use as restricted areas,
but that most of the areas do not meet the letter of
the definition in that there is no "undue risk of
radiation exposure".

For the purposes of this post, we'll call
an area of use that doesn't meet the letter of the definition
of restricted area, a controlled area.  We require training prior to
entry of a restricted area.  We encourage training prior
to entry of controlled areas.  We use the dose rate and decontamination
limits for an uncontrolled area for controlled areas with
the exception that dose rates at a location where an
individual can receive a whole body exposure could go up
to the 5 mRem/hr limit requiring posting as a radiation area
while work is in progress.  All of this is very very long
winded way of saying that we basically call radiation
areas and higher, restricted areas for the purposes of the
training requirements of ancillary personel.

We provide access to training for any ancillary
personel on an as requested basis, whether they work in a
restricted, controlled, or uncontrolled area. The "request" can come
from us, the personel themselves, their supervisor, or
even from researchers in whose areas they work.
Some very limited information is given to all new hires,
and at periodic training for individuals that fall under
hazcom regulation.

Dale
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu